Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rockey Mountain Soap Company 6 KM Run

A weekend that started out as a way to get my butt back into shape turned into an inspiring weekend of family and friends.
We came up to Banff the day before to hit the candy stores, the hot springs and enjoyed the beautiful mountains that Bennett was determined to climb.



The mountain fresh air did some good.



Bennett was actually introducing himself to the moose


And then.... the smile


Kids in a Candy Store....need I say more?


Of all the places for Bennett and Faith to play they decided to lay down on the busy sidewalk on Banff Ave.  Can't say I blame them, the sun was shining and they had the most beautiful view, oh to be young again.


Faith sharing her pizza, now that's a good friend!


Run Day!  My little spider man.


The atmosphere at the Nordic Center was energetic, music playing (the kids dancing and having a ball)


One of the most exciting parts of the day for me was that my mom decided to come and do the run too!  Family friends of ours, the Corry's decided to do the run also.  Here we all are Maureen, Ang, myself, my mom and Michelle.  I love this picture, its doesn't get more breathtaking then this!


My youngest cheerleader


Check out this atmosphere, all the runners doing a dance together.... SO FUN!


The run was not as bad as I had thought, the 6 km was definitely up and down as you may think Canmore would be.  I found that whenever I was tired I would look up to the amazing mountains and forget what I was doing (just for a second or two).
I finished in just over 33 minutes, 14th out of 122 ladies in my age group (this is more just for my future records than anything)

Colleen and I at the finish line enjoying our refreshing towels that smelled soooo good!


This was Colleen's face when Adam asked her how hard the hills were (a pretty honest reactions I would say!)



My mom heading to the finish line getting a high five from Maureen, good friends that support each other!


Bennett and I joined grandma and finished the race together, a special moment!



Maureen and Mom ( we should all have a friendship like this)


Ang and Michelle


Me and my mom, I am so proud of her!  She definitely inspired me today.

4 comments:

The Alexanders said...

wow, looks like an AMAZING weekend! Congratulations to ALL of you on completing the run!

Aaron & Erin said...

AWESOME post Mel! Congrats to all of you, sounds like a great run to be a part of. Perhaps I will venture this one next year!

Kelsey said...

A-MAY-ZING pics! What a beautiful setting! Looks like it was fun....maybe next year!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME MEL!!!! What a great accomplishment! Be proud!
I really wish I could have gone. Next year for sure!